Thursday, October 23, 2014

#7. Where you thought you'd be.

This blog challenge is becoming more and more of a challenge...Yet I still want you to join me! Check it out here.
7)      Where you are in your life vs. where you thought you would be at this point
When I was in college, I took my College Success class seven months into school. Yeah, I tried to find a way to get out of it, but they wouldn't let me. The teacher in that class was phenomenal basically, but that's a story for another day. To give us a little insight into what our dreams were and how much we'd actually planned versus just dreamed, our professor gave us an assignment: Write a 15-year plan. First he taught us what a goal really is; as it turns out, a goal has a time-frame, and a goal is attached to a detailed plan for how you will accomplish it. Therefore this plan was going to be very intense, with the year beside every thing we were going to do and be in the future.
Let's just say I'm way "off track". 
According to my 15-year plan, I am supposed to be running a successful design business and meeting for lunch with friends from college to discuss how fabulous life is. I imagined I would chuckle as I talked about my kids and blush as I mention my (extra hot) husband. No, I didn't mention blushing or chuckling in my plan-it was very professional-but this extensive brain-wracking and planning didn't keep me from daydreaming!
Reality: I am currently living at home, my business is not self-sustaining (yet), my husband hasn't arrived, thankfully no kids have either though, and I hardly keep in touch with any friends from college! I feel sorta embarrassed sometimes, and catch myself trying to catch glimpses of my peers grass to see whether it has patches like mine does. But I also didn't put in my 15-year plan that I would have a dashing and intelligent young nephew and three beautiful nieces, three brother-in-laws that I like, a sister whose house I sleep in almost as often as my own, or the closeness that has grown between my mom and me in the years since I've finished college. I didn't know to write that I would home school my younger sisters and gain such a confidence from it. I also neglected to write about the relationships that would test me, and that I would come out of a wiser woman. 
Yeah, I'm so off track. 
Thank God. 
There is no point in regret over things in my past that have taught me lessons I couldn't have learned otherwise! I've spent too much time already looking back at how I shouldn't have done something foolish when I was younger, rather than how now I'll be able to instruct my younger sisters from experience. There are too many close bonds now and in my future that I wouldn't have if I didn't learn personally the type of people I don't want to be around. 
I'm nowhere near where I thought I'd be. 
I'm right where I'm supposed to be. 

Join me and tell your story!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment and put a smile on my face!